Thursday, October 15, 2015

cauliflower crust pizza

I love trying recipes that replace bread, noodles or crusts with vegetables. I love me some vegetables! I mean that honestly. I could eat cauliflower, broccoli, beets, peppers, you name it - at every meal and even choose it over a cookie. Yup, it's pretty serious. I didn't feel that way in my younger years as a box of Nutty Bars sounded so fantastic but now I realize how food effects me and there is nothing better than having energy. So I say "yes" to vegetables.

This is some pretty tasty pizza whether you go the cheese route or not. Add your favorite toppings and skip on the food comma from traditional pizza crust. The crust will not be "crispy" like a pizza so a fork is definitely needed. Enjoy!

Cauliflower Crust Pizza

Ingredients:
1 head of cauliflower, chopped
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 large eggs
3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (optional)
12 oz. pizza sauce
Topping suggestions: bell pepper, onions, garlic, olives, mushrooms, broccoli, pepperoni, basic, oregano

Directions:
Steam cauliflower until soft, about 12-20 minutes. Place in a blender, add 1/4 cup olive oil and 1 cup mozzarella cheese (or leave cheese out if you are dairy free) and mix well.

Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly coat a pizza pan or large rimmed baking sheet with about 1 tbsp olive oil.

Pour cauliflower mixture into the pan and spread the "dough" into a flat pizza shape no more than 1/2 inch thick. Bake for 20 minutes.

Remove the pizza "crust" and spread with pizza sauce, remaining cheese (or omit) and desired toppings. Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes.

Note: The crust will not be hard like a pizza so you'll need to use a spatula to scoop out a "slice".





Original recipe by William Davis in Wheat Belly


1 comment:

  1. I'm going to put this on the list to try! Sounds amazing :)

    ReplyDelete