Thursday, March 19, 2015

elvis burger

I want to use amazing words to describe this Elvis burger but I'm failing to find the perfect description. You would think that by looking at the ingredients it's going to be weird and I even asked my husband how adventurous he felt before I assembled his burger but you just have to go for it. You will enjoy a sweet taste from the plantains and almond butter, a salty - crunchy taste from the bacon and a plump turkey burger on top of lettuce to bring it all together. My mouth is watering just thinking about how good this is. If I had one day to live and was preparing my last meal - this would definitely be in the running.

My knowledge of Elvis is very limited but apparently he liked peanut butter on his burgers so therefore - the elvis burger. If you've never bought a plantain before - have no fear as I was new to them too. You can find plantains next to the bananas in the grocery store and I used a yellow one for this recipe. Not black, not green but yellow.

The original recipe for the Elvis burger I went off of by Cindy Sexton in her book Paleo Takes 5 used ground beef and sunflower butter but I prefer turkey and sunflower butter is not easy to come by and can be rather expensive. You can try any nut butter you'd like. I'd recommend getting a brand that is just a nut butter without the hydrogenated oils or added sugar. 

Be adventurous and give this Elvis burger a shot. I can't image anyone who wouldn't like it!

Elvis Burger

Servings: 5 Burgers

Ingredients:

olive oil
1.25 lbs ground turkey (I like Jennie-O)
1 egg, whisked
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp pepper
5 slices bacon (or turkey bacon - I like the brand Applegate)
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 large plantain, cut into 1/2' slices (yellow)
lettuce
almond butter (I used about 1/2 tbsp per burger)

Cooking Directions:

In a large bowl, combine turkey, egg, salt and pepper. Use a fork or your hands to mix well and form into 5 patties of equal size. (Make smaller patties if you'd like)

Spray a large pan with olive oil and cook the patties over medium to high heat until cooked through. About 7-10 minutes per side.

While your burgers are cooking, place a paper towel on a microwave safe plate and put 5 slices of bacon on the paper towel and cover with an additional paper towel. Microwave for about 3-4 minutes. (Or follow directions on package for desired crispiness.)

While your burgers are cooking and your bacon is in the microwave, melt the coconut oil over medium to high heat and cook the plantains for about 5 minutes on each side or until they become slightly browned.

To assemble the burger, place some lettuce leaves on your plate, add the burger on top of the lettuce, smear on some almond butter, add a few plantains and top with the bacon.

"You're welcome - You're welcome very much!"

Adapted from Cindy Sexton, Paleo Takes 5




No comments:

Post a Comment