Tuesday, February 24, 2015

sweet potato brownies

Sweet Potato Brownies
I really enjoy baking but I'd rather not exercise my will power to withstand having 24 brownies in my house. I want to be able to make a healthy treat option but also keep the recipe low in servings so that I am not tempted. This version creates 12 brownies but can easily be doubled if you are baking for a larger group. It's super moist and delicious but without all the loaded sugar found in traditional brownies.




Sweet Potato Brownies

Prep time: 10
Cook time: 30
Total time: 40
Yield: 12
Calories per serving: 109
Fat per serving: 6.5 g
Ingredients:
  • 1 medium sweet potato (1 cup)
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup cacao powder
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup almond butter
  • 2 tbsp grass-fed butter, melted
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
Cooking Directions:
  
Preheat oven to 350 F.
      
Wash and poke the sweet potato with a fork and place it in the microwave for 3 minutes, turn and cook an additional 2 minutes or until soft. Allow to cool.        
  
Once cool, remove skin and mash.        
  
Add all ingredients to a food processor and mix well.  
         
Spray a 8x8 inch baking dish with olive oil spray and spread mixture into dish and bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle.
Allow them to cool, cut them into 12 squares and store in the refrigerator.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious!! I'll keep this recipe in mind for the next time I crave brownies. Oh wait, I am always craving brownies :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. While still a healthier version of a brownie - I find I want to eat the whole pan. Willpower - not so much!

    ReplyDelete